So after riding with my Schmidt Nabendynamo for a few weeks last year with an excruciatingly difficult time pedaling, I wised up and spun the wheel by hand - holy smokes the hub was nearly frozen. What to do?
My options for a hub repair include shipping it back to Peter White or to Schmidt in Germany for repair, where the shipping charges alone are more than I wanted to accept. Or I could just repair the hub myself, seeing how the warranty period was expired anyway.
So I decided to make a tool, which with the help of a milling machine, a piece of scrap aluminum, and a handful of the correct diameter pins, didn't take more than about a half hour to manufacture. I had to cut a recess in the back of the tool to accept the skewer, which prevented the tool from slipping off during the removal, but the tool removed the hub armature just as expected.
My original thought was that I would have to replace the bearings, but disassembly quickly showed that moisture was the cause of the hub binding; the armature was contaminated with rust, and thick enough that there was a physical interference between that and the field magnets on the outer hub. Dang.
|Schmidt Original Nabendynamo armature core. There was a bit of slippage and resulting damage to the hub until I locked the tool on to the hub with the skewer - no biggie.|
I cleaned up the rust with a fine grit emery paper, lubed it up with a film of grease, put it all back together, and the wheel has been rolling for a year now with no issues.
Note that the new version of the Schmidt hub requires the spokes removed from the hub for disassembly, while the older version here does not require a new wheel build for repair.
Cheers and ride on.